Monday, July 6, 2009

respect for my elders

Nelson Bc is the most unique place I have ever lived. She is filled with gypsies, ragamuffins, no wave/new wave hip-stars, musicians, painters, designers etc, you get the picture....
Amongst these folks are people of all ages. We connect with our elders here more than other places I have lived.
We can sit and talk normally about what we are interested in and there is no judgments or critisisms, there might be a opinionated soundscape layed out, but no fear of judgment.
One of these fellows stuck out to me. His name was Richard Carver. He died last week and it is hitting me more every day.
When I had my boutique Seams Local Art Haus, Richard was a proud supporter of all our events, sales, fashion shows, art openings. Note he also kept alot of us eating thru the winter.
Richard had his own Art Show at my studio back in the day. The crowd was wonderful,we drank wine and he drank orange juice, we played Banjo's and Flutes, he laughed alot and sat outside while we sang into the alley night.
He had the thickest british accent, patchwork hat, socks pulled up with loafers, and his wolf dog Che by his side always.
I miss him.... He was a ball to chat with since he had travelled so much, was an artist himself, ran a radio show, and was Nelson's true street critic. I just loved how sure he was of his taste in life.
We will all miss him dearly, and he really has inspired me to create even when I am feeling crusty.
Richards peices never made a whole lot of sense to me. There is the one that I can think of was a tribute to Zimbabwe
it had garbage stuck to corrogated cardboard with telephone wires and love letter post cards, I just remember the crest toothpaste tube hanging there bu a telephone wire. Thats rad. Richard I luv Ya...

No comments: